Standing tall, 535 feet above the city of Oakland, the Cathedral of Learning is a conspicuous landmark of the city. Located at 4200 Fifth Ave, the Cathedral, houses classrooms, theaters, computer labs, and several departments of the University of Pittsburgh.
From 1868 to the late 1950s Rosenbaum’s Department store was one of the many Jewish-owned storefronts that adorned Fifth Avenue in Downtown Pittsburgh. The store can be partially accredited with the large influx of Jewish citizens that moved to the Downtown area.
This memorial is dedicated to the nine Jewish worshippers that lost their lives in the Pittsburgh shooting at the hands of an antisemitic white supremacist on October 27th, 2018 in Squirrel Hill. Following the
In the center of Oakland stands Soldiers and Sailors Museum and Memorial, a building much like a classical temple. But instead of a place of worship, it is a place to honor American veterans and those who lost their lives fighting for their nation.
Now known as the Elsie Hillman Auditorium, the Irene Kaufmann Settlement House Auditorium is the last existing building of the Irene Kaufmann Settlement House (IKS). The IKS was a massive hub for Pittsburgh immigrants from the late 1800s to the first half of the 1900s, and it played a particularly integral and impressive role in assisting Jewish immigrants at the time.
As its name suggests, the building that houses Lawrenceville’s Church Brew Works began life as a house of worship—St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church. Now, like many of the church buildings that left empty around Pittsburgh, St. John the Baptist has found new life after transformation, open seven days a week to any congregants who want to sit at a repurposed pew and sample one of the brewery’s offerings.
Mary Schenley wasn’t a pagan, but she found plenty of other ways to shock the upper-class society into which she was born in the nineteenth century. Born Mary Elizabeth Croghan in 1826, she eloped with a British army captain three times her age when she was fifteen years old and divided the rest of her life between Pittsburgh and London. The Mary Schenley Memorial Fountain, also called “A Song to Nature,” was built near Schenley Plaza in her memory in 1918.
In 2002, Mike Speranzo and Liz Berlin transformed a church Mr. Smalls Theatre. The venue includes a concert hall that can hold 800 people for concerts or other events, a smaller stage, and a restaurant. In the basement there is a small café. Mr. Smalls Theatre has hosted performances by both local and national artists. President Bill Clinton even visited once for a political rally. The building itself was also once a Catholic Church called St. Ann’s.
The Pittsburgh Platform, which was written and signed in Pittsburgh in 1885, is a document that outlines eight principles of Reform Judaism that were agreed upon by rabbis at the Pittsburgh Conference. The Reform Movement is a liberal denomination of Judaism and has a rich history in the city of Pittsburgh.
The mound was built by the Adena people, who are well known for mound building, and later used by the Hopewell people. It is thought to have accumulated over a period spanning 500 BCE- 1000 CE.